Saturday, November 8, 2014

Happy Holidays! Pumpkin Juice

Hello faithful readers! And Happy (belated) Halloween!

If you remember my post from last year, you'll remember that I love Halloween. I love the pageantry, the fun, the spine-tingling terror, everything. Well, I made my famous Broken-Glass Cupcakes again this year, but I wanted to do something in addition to all of that. So I wracked my brain and came up with something that I've always wanted to try: pumpkin juice!

Now, if you're a fan of the Harry Potter book series, then this concept needs no introduction. If for some reason you haven't read this series, (and let's be honest: why are you reading a blog with a DnD joke in the title if you haven't?) then you should know that it is quite prevalent in that world.

Now, to be fair, I didn't set off with the idea of, "Hey! I'll make Harry Potter pumpkin juice!" The idea was wholly my own, what with this being the time of year for pumpkin-flavored everything. But I can't deny I wouldn't have had the idea in the first place were it not for the books. So let's just say it was a joint effort and leave it at that, shall we?

Ok, to business. The idea is fairly straight-forward, and I have presented it two ways, so you can choose the method of your liking. I actually tested this recipe a few times, and I think I've gotten it right. But I'll let you be the judge of that. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

WHAT I USED!!!
6 cups good quality apple cider, chilled (divided, if you follow the Long Version)
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1/4 cup salted caramel syrup (room temp, unless you follow the Long Version)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Silver rum, to taste (optional)

WHAT I DID!!!
The Short Version:
Take all the ingredients (except the rum, if using) and combine in a pitcher or punch bowl. Combine using a whisk or immersion blender, then pour off into glasses. Add rum if desired. Consume!

The Long Version:
Take 2 cups of your cider and pour it into a small pot or sauce pan and place over medium-low heat. Add the preserves, caramel, and spice, and heat until the mixture just reaches a simmer, whisking occasionally to blend. Lower the heat slightly, and simmer for about 10 minutes.

In the serving vessel of your choice, combine the remaining four cups of cider and the pumpkin, and combine using a whisk or immersion blender. When the stove-top cider has finished, pour the mixture into the serving vessel. Blend well, then chill. Do not pour over ice! If you need to chill the drink quickly, pour into a shaker with ice and do it up cocktail style. Add the rum at this time if using. Consume!


See? It's super easy and super tasty! The cider provides a good strong base, and the preserves and caramel provide a smoothness and a sweetness that is wonderful. The pumpkin flavor itself is subtle, but definitely prevalent, and the spices provide a warmth to the drink that is infinitely satisfying. The Long Version takes a bit more time, but the flavors are more intense too, so it's worth it.

Anyway, that's all for now. I hope you enjoyed reading about this beverage as much as I enjoyed creating it. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

Until next time, go forth and eat (and drink!) well!

No comments:

Post a Comment