Monday, December 2, 2013

Happy Holidays! Leftover Turkey Enchiladas

Hi again!

I know, really close to my last posting, ain't it? But, I wanted to get this up so people might still have a chance to try it out while they still have leftovers. And yes, you read that title correctly: enchiladas made with leftover turkey.

While planning out meals for the week, I decided to make enchiladas. There's a method on allrecipes.com that I'm fond of, so I decided I'd make those. I even considered blogging about it as a F.E.A.S.T., because it is rather simple to make and it tastes quite good. But! Then the idea came up to make the enchiladas using some of the leftover turkey in the fridge and, since the method was designed with leftover chicken in mind anyway, I decided that I just had to try it out.

Without further ado, here we go!

THE INGREDIENTS!!!
1 tbs butter
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic power
1 4oz can chopped green chiles
1 10.75oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups cubed leftover Thanksgiving turkey
1 cup (or a little more!) shredded cheddar/colby jack cheese, divided
1/4 cup milk
6 fajita size flour tortillas


THE METHOD!!!
To begin, reheat your turkey; this can be done via the microwave or in your skillet. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350, and spritz a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.

In your skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the green onions with a little salt until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add your garlic powder, then stir in the chiles, soup, and sour cream and combine well. Pull about 3/4 of the mixture out into a soup bowl and set aside. To the 1/4 mixture that's left, toss in your turkey and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Combine well.

Fill each of the six tortillas with 1/6 of the mixture, roll up, and place seem side down in the baking dish. Pour the milk into the soup bowl with the reserved mixture and stir to combine. Poor this new mixture over the tortillas. Be sure to get even coverage. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup (or a little more!) of cheese, again, going for even coverage.


Bake in your heated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned and nicely bubbly.


Ok, I'm gonna level with you: this worked surprisingly well. The turkey actually tasted really good when combined with the cheese and chiles, so I think this is something everyone should try. I'll just let the results speak for themselves.


As always, thanks for reading. Go forth and eat well!

No comments:

Post a Comment