Friday, September 20, 2013

Beer and Bacon Pancakes

Y'know what I've always thought was a great idea? Breakfast for dinner. I tend to make it on a fairly regular basis, but I don't always experiment. Well, that's changing.

So. Pancakes. Made with beer. And bacon. Crazy huh? My roommate suggested the idea of pancakes made with beer, and a quick Google search led me here of all places. Rather than following this method exactly, I decided to simply use it as a guide and improvise a little. I adapted a basic pancake recipe to my needs, and these are the results:


Not bad, huh? Truth to tell though, the results weren't quite what I hoped they would be. Don't get me wrong, they were tasty enough, but I think the idea needs some tweaking. For one thing, the "beer" flavor overwhelmed the others, so we lost the delicious savory bacon taste except in small bursts. And although I used a seasonal beer (Shock Top pumpkin wheat), a lot of the warm autumn flavors fell to the background too.

Next time, I think I'll use a lighter flavored beer, like maybe a blond or a hefeweizen. The other option, if I want to stick with the pumpkin ale, would be to add more spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. I love the praline bacon (yes, you heard me), and I think it works well in the recipe. But next time I plan to use think-cut bacon instead of the thin stuff; I think it'll hold up better in the batter.

Well, I suppose I should actually get to the method now, shouldn't I? As always, if anyone has an suggestions or comments, I'm always glad to hear them.

THE INGREDIENTS!!!
2 cups AP flour
5 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 12oz beer (something of quality, please)
1 12oz package bacon
2.5 oz brown sugar
1.5 oz pecans

THE METHOD!!!
 The first step is to make Praline Bacon. It's pretty easy to do, actually. First, heat your oven to 400 degrees. Grab a cookie sheet with a lip and line it with a big piece of aluminum foil. Set a cooling rack on top and lay out the bacon in a nice neat row. Bake until almost, but not quite, done. The thin stuff took less than 10 minutes, but the AB method calls for a full 30 on the thick-cut strips.

While the bacon bakes, drop the pecans and brown sugar into a food processor and chop to a fine bread crumb consistency. When the bacon is almost done, pull it out. Working carefully, sprinkle the bacon with the brown sugar/pecan mixture and gently pat down to set it.


Place the bacon back into the oven for another 10 minutes or until done. And make sure to watch it; I didn't keep a close enough eye on it and ended up burning it a little.

Oh, don't look at me like that. I know it's a culinary sin and I'll go to confession later.

Anyway. When the bacon is (properly) done, let it cool for a few minutes before removing from the rack and chopping into bite-sized pieces. Again, work carefully so as not to burn yourself.

Meanwhile, combine the flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, beer, and bacon, and stir to combine.

Heat your electric griddle to medium, about 300 to 325. Drop the batter in 1/4 cup increments onto the hot griddle, and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until done. Serve with (real!) maple syrup.


See, it's a pretty straightforward method. It just needs some fine-tuning.

Anyway, as always, thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment