Friday, July 5, 2013

Twice-baked Chicken Parmesan Potatoes


So, a couple of days ago I decided to try something a little different. Originally I had thought to make twice-baked potatoes for dinner one night, and a chicken Parmesan-like meal for another. But then, I had a brainstorm: why not make both on the same night? That is when this idea was born.

Now, it still needs some work. I plan to tinker with it, but for now I'm going to post the recipe as I designed and executed it. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it.

THE INGREDIENTS!!
8 potatoes (these were small to medium sized), scrubbed and allowed to dry
1 pkg bacon (maple smoked if you want to know)
4 chicken breasts
5 tomatoes, cored, seeded, quartered (no, not a lot, I know)
balasamic vinegar
chopped garlic
16oz block of mozzarella cheese
8oz block cream cheese, softened (I found one made with Greek yogurt and wanted to try it)
green onions
1 cup panko (coarse Japanese breadcrumbs in case you're unfamiliar)
3 tbs butter, melted
grated Parmesan cheese, to taste

THE METHOD!!
To begin, I baked the bacon. Its easy: put the bacon on a cooling wrack over a foil-lined baking sheet (one with a good lip all the way around). Put the apparatus in a cold oven and set for 400 degrees. Wait about 20 minutes, or until the bacon reaches the desired crispiness. You could fry it if you prefer, but I like this method.

Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium to medium-high heat until they're done all the way through.

Toss the tomato quarters with a splash of balsamic vinegar, a few teaspoons of chopped garlic, and a pinch of salt. Lay them out on a baking sheet (I always line mine with parchment or foil) cut side up. Meanwhile, rub a little oil on the potatoes, pierce them a few times with a fork, and lay them out in a 9x13 inch baking dish.

When the bacon comes out of the oven, up the temp to 450, and put the tomatoes and the potatoes in. The tomatoes need 20-30 minutes, while the potatoes need more like 45 to an hour. You're looking for the tomatoes to be soft and sizzling and for the potatoes to be fork tender.

Once that's all baking, you can assemble everything else. Slice enough mozzarella to have one piece for each potato half (in my case, I sliced 8 pieces off the block and cut each in half) and grate the remainder. Chop the bacon into small pieces. Ditto that with the green onions. I also chopped the chicken into smaller pieces for convenience. Run the tomatoes through a food processor or blender until liquified.

Cooking can be a bit messy... and blurry, apparently.

When the potatoes are done, pull them out of the oven. Without burning yourself, cut each one in half and scoop the insides into a large bowl. Be sure to save the skins. Mix in the cream cheese until it's all incorporated. Then add the chicken, mozzarella, bacon, green onions, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Fill each empty skin with a genrous serving of the potato mixture and return to the 9x13.

Combine the panko with the melted butter. Put a slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each potato, and sprinkle with the panko. Throw some grated Parmesan cheese on for good measure.


Put the whole thing back in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the panko browns and the mozza is nice and bubbly. Cool for a few minutes, then serve immediately. Top with sour cream if you desire.



THE RESULTS!!
Overall, I like the idea. But, while it was indeed quite good, I felt that the whole "chicken Parmesan" thing I was going for got a bit lost in the execution. For one thing, the green onions provided too strong of a flavor. For another, I did not have nearly enough tomato sauce.

On the plus side though, the bacon and chicken worked well together and with everything else. The cream cheese and mozzarella came together nicely, providing a uniform texture throughout the dish. Plus, I really liked the nice crunch from the panko.

I think next time I'm going to try to change things up in one of two ways. The first option is to use larger potatoes (I didn't like the small ones; not enough meat) and more sauce. I might lose the green onion entirely. The goal would be to have the flavor focus on the chicken and the tomato sauce. So, maybe use a little less bacon as well, since it has such a strong presence.

For the second option, imagine that I left the chicken and tomato sauce out of the mix. Maybe ditch the green onion again. Then, after filling the skins, lay a few pieces of chicken on top of the potato mixture. Top that with the sauce and a slice of mozzarella, essentially making a mini chicken Parmesan on top of each twice baked potato. Or, should the chicken stay in the mix with just the sauce on top? Hmmm... I guess call that option 2.5 or something.

If anybody has any suggestions about which method would be better, please let me know!

Well, I hope this all sounded interesting to everyone, because I really enjoyed making it. I'm hoping to try it again sometime in the future, and when I do, I'll be sure to let you all see the results!


No comments:

Post a Comment