Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Blueberry pancakes

Y'know what's fun? Breakfast for dinner. There's a reason places like Ihop stay open 24 hours a day: because food like eggs and pancakes are always tasty no matter what time of day you eat them.

I bring this up because we decided to make pancakes, eggs and ham for dinner tonite. Nothing fancy, just a quick, easy meal.

For the ham and eggs: I cut up some left over ham into chunks and warmed it up in a skillet. After that, I beat about nine eggs together (three people in my apartment, remember) and added them and some shredded cheese to the meat. Scramble. Done.

As for the pancakes: I was going to get some pancake mix, just to be quick, but I realized its just as easy to make them from scratch. Y'know, with flour and baking powder and the like. I'd planned to follow a basic recipe, until I decided I really wanted that tangy buttermilk flavor. Except I didn't have any buttermilk. I could've run down the street to the store, but this was supposed to be quick and easy, remember? Plus, whenever I get buttermilk for something like this, I inevitably end up having to throw half of if down the drain a few weeks later.

I looked up my options. I knew that if you added some acid to regular milk (specific data: 1 tablespoon vinegar/lemon juice with enough milk to equal 1 cup, then rest five minutes) you could get a passable substitute. Hmm... well, what else could I do? So I checked. Yogurt! Or even sour cream. It makes sense if you think about it. So I took a six-ounce blueberry Greek yogurt I had, added two tablespoons of sour cream, and finish off the rest of the liquid with regular milk. The result? Oddly blue-ish pancakes:


They were definitely tasty, but a little underdone in the middle. My guess would be I should have cooked them a little longer at not quite as hot a temperature (I did 300 degrees on an electric griddle). I assume it's because the batter was heavier than if I hadn't included the yogurt/sour cream mixture. So now I'll know for next time.

Like I said, quick and easy. I made the whole thing in about 30-40 minutes, from pulling out all the ingredients to sitting down with a fork in hand. And it was actually fairly cheap too. Most of the ingredients are of the keep-on-hand variety, like eggs, milk, butter, flour, etc. The ham was all leftovers, but we've done bacon or sausage before for only a few bucks. I'd have to go check my math, but I'd wager the whole meal was under $10, and that's not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment